Farmers Alley Theatre recognizes its responsibility for its role in the lack of diversity within our arts community. We emphatically believe that Black Lives Matter and we are committed to doing better – being better. The founders of Farmers Alley Theatre, along with its leadership and Board of Directors, are committed to changing the narrative of systemic racism in our society.
The Farmers Alley Theatre organization acknowledges the fact that the white privilege of its founders has led to an unconscious bias resulting in feelings of exclusion by the POC communities and acknowledges its role in perpetuating a system of institutional and systemic racism.
The Farmers Alley Theatre organization continues its priority to ensure the following:
- Have an equitable representation of POC of the Kalamazoo community on our Board of Directors.
- Hire an equitable number of POC directors and designers.
- Produce enough plays and musicals that are written by POC authors or productions that tell POC stories.
- Hire an equitable number of POC actors, musicians, dancers, choreographers, and other performers.
- Develop ASL-supported performances
- Ensure we are a welcoming space accessible by people of all abilities.
- Create a culture within our organization that is safe for all people.
The Farmers Alley Theatre organization has taken the following actionable steps:
- Formed an IDEA Advisory Committee to guide the organization and hold the organization accountable.
- Began the search for a Diversity and Inclusion representative to lead our committed actions.
- Make decisions going forward using an anti-racist lens.
- Submitted our IDEA Plan to the Board of Directors for inclusion in the 2023/2024 Strategic Planning Project.
- Created opportunities and partnerships to allow for no-cost access to our productions
- Ensured our facility is open and accessible
Farmers Alley Theatre pledges to do better and to work to dismantle white supremacy, and systemic & institutional racism in our society. We pledge to seek out and to nurture partnerships that will add to the richness and beauty of our community. We pledge to listen with new ears and open minds. We can always be reached for communication at email@example.com